Yield: 12 muffins
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 2 “large” eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 Tbs. (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 unpeeled large size tart apple such as a pippin or granny smith, grated on the large holes of the grater
- choice of flavor additions, below
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 12 muffin tin, or better, line it with paper muffin cups as these tend to stick. In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, oats, eggs, sugar, apple, your choice of optional flavor additions below. This may be done the night before, and refrigerated.
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Sift. Fold sifted dry ingredients gently into buttermilk mixture until just combined. Do not over-mix.
Fill muffin tins. Bake 25 - 30 minutes, until brown and fragrant. Loosen from tins immediately. These muffins keep well for several days, and can be frozen.
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, plus grated zest of 1 orange or lemon
- 2/3 cup raisins and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (ADD 1/3 cup sugar)
- 2/3 cup dried cherries or cranberries & 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- you get the idea, make up your own combos!
0.7 grams fat
3.2 grams protein
2.4 grams dietary fiber
7.3 grams sugar