Yield: 4 medium servings
- 1 head leaf lettuce, or 5 oz. mixed baby greens, baby spinach, arugula, chicories, etc.
- 1 small Fuyu persimmon
- 1 medium pomegranate
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
- optional: 2 Tbs. crumbled blue cheese (such as Stilton, Blue d’Auvergne, Gorgonzola) or fresh goat cheese
- Salt to taste, and a generous grinding of black pepper
Dressing (enough for a second salad but it keeps in the refrigerator for at least a week):
- Juice from 1/2 of the pomegranate
- 1/2 medium shallot, finely minced
- 1 1/2 Tbs. sherry vinegar or 2 Tbs. raspberry red-wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1 tsp. whole-grain or Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- About 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil OR walnut oil
Wash and dry greens and place in salad bowl. Peel and dice the persimmon, discarding any seeds (you can also just slice it, with the peel, if you prefer; the peel is edible, just a little tough when you're dicing the fruit). Set aside. Halve the pomegranate, and set one half aside for the dressing. Hold the other half, cut side toward your palm, over an empty bowl. Use a wooden spoon to tap the skin sharply, dislodging the seeds into the bowl. Discard the skin and pith.
To make dressing, juice remaining half pomegranate like a lemon, strain out any bits of pith and seed. Add chopped shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and salt. Stir or whisk in oil to taste. Adjust with more lemon juice if too sweet.
Just before serving, mix dressing with whisk or fork and add to salad greens. Toss and serve, garnishing each serving with persimmon, pumpkin seeds, cheese and pomegranate seeds.