- 1/2 lb Spinach leaves
- 2 Tbsps extra virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 inch slice of Bread, cut from a wide loaf
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 3/4 cup Cooked Chickpeas
- 1 tsp Thyme leaves, oo 1/8 tsp dried
- 1 tsp minced Oregano, or 1/8 tsp dried
- 1 tsp minced Rosemary, or 1/8 tsp dried
- 1/4 tsp gr Cumin
- 1 inch piece dried red Chile Pepper
Wash spinach well in a basin of water and drain well. Tear into small pieces. Place the spinach into a pot and simmer 10 minutes in a little water. Remove from heat, drain and finely chop.
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a skillet and sauté bread and whole garlic over medium heat until golden brown on all sides of the bread. Transfer to a mortar, add salt and vinegar and mash to a paste with a pestle.
Add remaining oil to the skillet and heat. Quickly sauté the spinach for a few minutes, add the paprika, chickpeas, bread and garlic paste, and the remaining spices. Cook over medium heat for a minute, adding water if the mixture is dry. Turn off the heat and leave it to sit for 10 minutes for the flavors to meld.
Serve hot or at room temperature.