Yield: 4 servings
- 2 heads endive (three if they are small)
- 2 Tbs. walnuts
- 1 smallish baked beet, peeled and diced*
- 1/2 blood orange, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 regular orange or tangerine, peeled and sliced
note: you can add crumbles of blue cheese to the salad, and mash a bit more with the half and half to season the dressing, if desired
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 tsp. dry Spanish sherry, preferably fino
- 1 tsp. sherry wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. orange juice
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Wash endive heads and cut around base to separate endive leaves. Arrange nicely on salad plates. Toast nuts in a 350°F. oven for 5 minutes, removing before they turn brown. Break any whole nuts up a bit. Arrange on salads. Peel and slice oranges and beet. Arrange slices on each salad plate.
To make dressing, combine half and half, sherry, vinegar and orange juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over salads, and serve.
*To bake beets, wash well, remove stems to 1 inch, remove roots. Place in an oven proof casserole. Add 1/4 inch of water, to keep from drying out. Cover tightly and roast in 350-400°F. oven until soft when pierced with a knife. Small beets will take only 40 minutes, large ones about an hour. When soft, skins will slip off.