Yield: 2 servings
- 2 Tbs. blue cheese — pick one you love — at room temperature
- 2 tsp. good quality red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. buttermilk or plain yogurt
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil (to taste – this will mellow a sharper cheese but may not be needed if you’re using a very mild one)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt, if needed, to taste
- Lettuce for two portions of salad, we love this with Little Gems
- Any other salad ingredient you like — cucumbers, cherry tomatoes for instance; the salad’s also great with some lightly toasted walnuts added
- More blue cheese, in small bits, to garnish if desired
Make the dressing: put the cheese in the salad bowl, and mash with a fork. Add the vinegar and continue to mix. Add the buttermilk or yogurt. Taste, and add a bit of oil if needed. The dressing should be creamy and not overly thick. Season with pepper and if needed, some salt (some blue cheeses are very salty).
Place the washed greens and other ingredients on top of the dressing. When you’re ready to eat, toss the salad with the dressing. Garnish with more bits of cheese, or not, as you wish.