Yield: 32 pieces
- 32 medium sized brown mushrooms (crimini)
- 2 medium shallots
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 cup fresh sourdough bread crumbs (or dry bread crumbs, if you don’t have fresh, but use ½ as much)
- ½ lb. crab meat, from one whole cooked, picked crab or purchased
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- pinch cayenne pepper or a shake of Tabasco
- salt to taste and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Grana padano or Parmesan
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (Best Foods—not a sweetened one!)
- 2 Tbs. parsley
- Paprika for sprinkling on after they bake
Carefully clean and stem mushrooms, reserving stems. Line up mushrooms on a parchment lined half-sheet pan.
Finely chop shallots and mushroom stems. Combine, sauté in butter over medium heat until all their water is reabsorbed. Combine with remaining ingredients except paprika, taste for seasoning and adjust. Stuff caps with filling. May be made up to one day in advance and refrigerated, covered.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake 10 minutes or more until browned. Serve warm but not too hot to pick up, with a shake of paprika on top.